Why you need title insurance. Title problems can surface after you close on your home and affect your homeownership rights. Some of the more common title problems include:
- Errors in public records, like a filing mistake or inaccuracy on a former deed
- Unknown liens resulting from unpaid debts of former owners
- Missing heirs who come forward years after the owner passes away and you’ve purchased the home
- Forgeries, like forged or falsified documents
- Survey or boundary issues that may affect your ownership and cause disputes
Title professionals are skilled at identifying—and curing, if possible—these types of problems and countless others before you take ownership. Your title policy then serves to help protect you from those issues that may still remain undiscovered.
Other potential Title problems: 70+ Ways to Lose Your Property